Today is Earth day. I’m not a fan of pushy environmentalists or the trendy “going green” thing, though I do value our planet and its many natural resources. I do believe we should take care of the planet, though I also believe that its resources are intended for use. (Otherwise what’s the point of having a “resource” in the first place?) Trees make great houses, plus they can be continually planted, so I don’t have to feel bad about living in a house made of wood. But I digress…
Earth Day Explorations
For Earth day today we are NOT focusing on hyper-environmentalism. Nope. Instead we are exploring this great planet and the miracles within it. Try this chain of projects to celebrate Earth day:
- Oceans cover about 70% of the earth. Make an ocean-in-a-bottle.
- The climate of the earth varies depending upon location. Read this and then make a global climate map with the four basic climates we experience on the planet.
- Gravity is what keeps us on this planet of ours. Compare gravity in space and on the earth, and do this experiment.
- Life thrives on our planet because of our atmosphere. The conditions must be perfect for life to exist, and exist it does! Just look at the huge variety of life we have–animals, plants, people, all the way down to bacteria…the variety is quite astounding! Make this backpack plant press and begin your own plant collection.
- Now go for a walk outside and just admire and take in the beautiful planet that is OUR EARTH!