This is a King Arthur Unit Study. It includes a library list, crafts, activities, discussion questions, and writing activities that go along with King Arthur tales.
This mini-unit is taken directly from Unit 2.5 of the Layers of Learning Curriculum, that is, it is identical to the arts section of that unit.
This mini-unit is a PDF which can be printed out or left digitally on your lap top or desk top (convenient for clicking on sidebar links). You can also read it on an iPad by e-mailing to yourself and opening it with the Open Office App or any other document reader.
- Book list of our favorite King Arthur Tales
- Background information to get you started
- A discussion guide for King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle
- A “Sword in the Stone” craft
- A Guinevere princess hat craft and discussion of morals
- A hero presentation activity
- A writing activity to teach plot while inventing your own King Arthur adventure with the Holy Grail
- A “Wanted” poster activity to learn about characters in a story
- A Coat of arms drawing activity
- A character sketch activity
- “History or Fantasy?” activity
- Plus sidebars that feature websites, additional layers (things to think about or to take you off on a tangent), more Writer’s Workshop ideas, Famous Folks, and Fabulous Facts
Each of the activities and books has smiley faces that indicate what level of learner the activity is appropriate for. Yellow indicates approximately 1-4th grade, green is for 5th-8th grades, and blue is for high school kids.
In this, and all our units, we provide a list of books to search for at your library. None of the books are necessary to using the course. They can be replaced by others you can find at your library or off your shelves. The books add to the course and some outside reading will greatly improve learning quality for your kids.
Here are the books we recommend for this unit: