This cute Thanksgiving craft project is really cute and so easy. I got my daughter out the supplies and she made these all on her own.
You just need scissors, toilet paper cardboard tubes, construction paper, markers, and glue or tape.
Instructions for Pilgrim People
- For each figure, wrap a cardboard tissue tube with construction paper clothing and glue the paper in place.
- Draw the face on using a fine tipped marker. We used Sharpies.
- For the hair, cut fringe along one side of a small paper rectangle. Roll the hair around a pen to make it curl up a bit, then trim it, and glue it into place.
- Cut and decorate headbands and feathers for the Native Americans and collars and an apron for the Pilgrims. For the Pilgrim girl’s bonnet, just cut a band with a triangle at the front. In the back the ends can overlap. For the Pilgrim boy’s hat, cut out a black circle 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll and glue a black piece around another segment of toilet paper tube, then attach it to a circular brim. Add a 1/2-inch band and square buckle and glue the hat to the boy’s head.
- The turkey head is the shape of a deflated balloon, with a triangular beak and small red wattle attached. You can give the turkey a cute pilgrim’s hat if you’d like. Also, don’t forget to add colorful turkey feathers.
For little ones, it’s easier if you have the pieces measured and cut out ahead of time, and then you can leave the coloring and gluing to their capable little hands! Bigger kids will be able to do the whole thing themselves. . . just show them the picture and let their creativity take over. Make one for each person who’ll sit at your Thanksgiving table and turn them into place cards by gluing a little name sign on to the front of each one.