The Layers of Learning Podcast with Karen and Michelle is here to help you get your whole family learning together in your homeschool. We are the sisters behind Layers of Learning. We love getting together to chat about homeschooling and this podcast is just a series of our chats. We’re inviting you to listen in on our conversations.
We both have big families, but we teach almost all of our school subjects to everyone at once, and we want to help you find the joy in that too, so we talk a lot about family homeschooling. To see all of our episodes, visit our Layers of Learning Podcast Page. Join us as we explore how to have a happy, hands-on, family-style homeschool.
Letting Kids Own Their Learning
In Episode 10, Karen and Michelle chat about things that will help you create a homeschool where your kids own their own learning. Kids can begin to take charge! They can feel personally invested in their educations! It doesn’t happen automatically though. As parents, we can have a big influence on how our kids engage during a homeschool day. In this conversation, Michelle and Karen talk about the small, everyday actions that can help kids become responsible for and invested in the things they are studying. Bit by bit, kids can assume ownership over their school day. It will help make your homeschool run more smoothly and will create habits of lifelong learning in your kids.
Here are a few of the topics you’ll hear about in this podcast:
- Giving kids choices and a sense of control by letting them make small decisions
- Allowing them to help you decide how and what they will learn
- Showing off their work and giving lots of positive feedback about their learning pursuits (Here’s a link to the Big Book of Knowledge and Trivia Games Post we mention!)
- Giving them planners so they can be in control of their own day while still accomplishing what you require We offer 99 cent planners for moms and kids of all ages that can help with this.
- Training them to complete big tasks by breaking them down into little bits so they can master the processes of learning
- As you learn together, hearing and acknowledging their ideas, insights, and curiosities
Listen to the podcast below: