A diamante is a seven lined poem that doesn’t rhyme. Diamante means “diamond” in Italian. A diamante poem is shaped like a diamond. The first and last lines are the shortest, with the lines in the middle increasingly longer.
Diamante poems are a great starter poem to help kids warm up to the idea of writing poetry, especially when you want to show them that poems don’t have to rhyme. Poetry uses concise and powerful language to describe things; that is exactly what diamante poems do. Before you even begin to explain how one is written you can brainstorm a list of topics, then make a big word wall of nouns, verbs, and adjectives that describe your topic. This will open their minds to the kinds of concise descriptions poems use. Once you have your brainstorms all written down, go over the rules of diamante poems.
Here are the basic rules:
1. Your poem will be 7 lines long.
2. The first and last lines only get one word each. The second and sixth lines have 2 words. The third and fifth lines have 3 words. The fourth line has 4 words.
3. Nouns make up lines 1, 4, and 7. Adjectives make up lines 2 and 6. Lines 5 and 3 have verbs. Here’s a visual:noun adjective, adjective verb, verb, verb noun, noun, noun, noun verb, verb, verb adjective, adjective noun
So now you know the rules. Let’s write one.
living, breathing, flowering
crocus blooms, tulips, raindrops, sunshine
breezing, warming, blooming
See the lovely diamond shape the poem makes?
Diamante Poem Topics
You can write diamante poems about anything at all. Here are a few topic ideas to get you started:
- a person you know (or even yourself)
- a season or holiday
- a happy memory
- your favorite place in the word
- something scary
- a color
- a vacation
- a strange dream you’ve had
- what you want to be when you grow up (or any profession)
Have fun with words and write LOTS and LOTS of these! Them come follow us, because I know you’d hate to miss more lessons and ideas from Layers of Learning. Plus, we love to catch up with our readers and see all the cool ways you’re making learning fun.