The Layers of Learning Podcast with Karen and Michelle is here to help you get your whole family learning together in your homeschool. We are the sisters behind Layers of Learning. We love getting together to chat about homeschooling and this podcast is just a series of our chats. We’re inviting you to listen in on our conversations.
We both have big families, but we teach almost all of our school subjects to everyone at once. We want to help you find the joy in that too, so we talk a lot about family homeschooling. To see all of our episodes, visit our Layers of Learning Podcast Page. Join us as we explore how to have a happy, hands-on, family-style homeschool.
How Long Is Your Homeschool Day?
Do you wonder how long your homeschool day should be? We remember the worries we felt when we began homeschooling and didn’t know how long a homeschool day should last. We all worry that we’re not doing enough or that we’re expecting too much. So many worries! Listen in as Michelle and Karen talk about what a homeschool day should look like and learn some tips for balancing your homeschool day so you have the right amount of “desk” time along with family time, exercise, chores, free time, and activities. The joy of homeschooling is that you get to teach to your kids’ needs and tailor things to your specific family, so break the mold of trying to do what everyone else is doing and do things that match your family.
Here Are A Few Topics You’ll Hear About in this Podcast:
- There isn’t an exact right number of hours that should exist in a homeschool day.
- Keep the number of subjects you do under control. Rotate through them instead of constantly adding more. Keeping the number of lessons under control will naturally control the length of your day so it doesn’t become overwhelming.
- Reading, Writing, and Math are the only essential daily subjects. After that, add in elective subjects tailored to their interests and ages.
- Don’t fall into the trap of believing more is always better. Balance is the key.
- Recognize the value of free time and imaginative play and all that it is teaching your kids.
- Claim some time for yourself in your day as well. You are a whole person; not just a homeschool parent. Balance all of the facets of your life.
- Don’t let the number of school subjects or the number of outside activities and commitments get out of control. Doing too much can cause you to fail at everything. It creates stress that isn’t conducive to learning.
- Balance your homeschool and family life for a 24-7 learning environment that doesn’t create stress and overburden you with worry.
Click the Play button to hear the podcast, then subscribe below!
Start family-style homeschooling now with a free Layers of Learning unit when you subscribe. Keep the unit forever, no questions asked.