The Layers of Learning Podcast with Karen and Michelle is here to help you get your whole family learning together in your homeschool. We are the sisters behind Layers of Learning. We love getting together to chat about homeschooling and this podcast is just a series of our chats. We’re inviting you to listen in on our conversations.
We both have big families, but we teach almost all of our school subjects to everyone at once. We want to help you find the joy in that too, so we talk a lot about family homeschooling. To see all of our episodes, visit our Layers of Learning Podcast Page. Join us as we explore how to have a happy, hands-on, family-style homeschool.
Raising Bookworms – Our Favorite Family Read-Alouds
Reading aloud to our kids has turned them into bookworms! Starting a read-aloud tradition when they were young is the single best decision we made as we’ve homeschooled our kids over the past twenty years. In this podcast episode, we share what reading aloud has done for our families and also talk about some of our favorite read-alouds.
During this podcast, we chat about the favorite read-alouds we’ve read to our families over the past twenty years. No need to grab a pen and paper! You can just visit our Amazon “Favorite Read-Alouds” Idea List to find all of the books we mention in this podcast episode. We hope you’ll enjoy perusing them and find some fun read-alouds for your family to snuggle up with and enjoy together.
Here Are A Few Topics You’ll Hear About In This Podcast
- Reading aloud will spark discussions and build relationships in your family.
- Look for books that open your eyes to new experiences, have deep themes, and are action-packed or have a great plot .
- Choose modern books with fairly simple language, characters you connect with, and that appeals to a wide age range.
- If you want to read the classics but your kids aren’t ready, start with Great Illustrated Classics.
- Choose a variety of genres – picture books, historical novels, non-fiction, fantasy, biographies, mysteries – choose all kinds of stories.
- Layers of Learning has sidebars called “Bookworms” to help direct you to good family read-alouds that accompany the units. You won’t have time to read them all, so just choose your favorites.
- …and finally, we discuss our favorite read-alouds…45 in all! Remember to check them all out on out Amazon “Favorite Read-Alouds” Idea List!
Try family-style homeschooling now with free samples of four Layers of Learning units when you subscribe. You'll get to try family-style history, geography, science, and arts with your children.
You can unsubscribe any time.