The Layers of Learning Podcast with Karen and Michelle is here to help you get your whole family learning together in your homeschool. We are the sisters behind Layers of Learning. We love getting together to chat about homeschooling and this podcast is just a series of our chats. We’re inviting you to listen in on our conversations.
We both have big families, but we teach almost all of our school subjects to everyone at once, and we want to help you find the joy in that too, so we talk a lot about family homeschooling. To see all of our episodes, visit our Layers of Learning Podcast Page. Join us as we explore how to have a happy, hands-on, family-style homeschool.
How To Create A Family School
Here are some topics from episode 2 that will help you create a family school in your homeschool:
- Think of your homeschool as a FAMILY school.
- Learn politeness and boundaries so that being together is enjoyable.
- Plan lots of family activities and outings outside of “school.”
- Read aloud to everyone, regardless of the ages of your kids (both fiction and non-fiction).
- Share the same writing assignments, adjusting just a little bit to take ages into account.
- Learn about the same topics together, especially in history, geography, science, and art.
- Think of the projects and explorations you choose as opportunities to create family memories.
- Pair younger kids with older kids as learning buddies.
- Mom and Dad should be part of the learning. Parents aren’t just teachers in family school; they are learners.
- SHARE out loud what you’ve learned so you are all involved in what each person is learning about.
Click the PLAY button to hear the podcast and SUBSCRIBE below:
Try family-style homeschooling now with free samples of four Layers of Learning units when you subscribe. You'll get to try family-style history, geography, science, and arts with your children.