The Layers of Learning Podcast with Karen and Michelle is here to help you get your whole family learning together in your homeschool. We are the sisters behind Layers of Learning. We love getting together to chat about homeschooling and this podcast is just a series of our chats. We’re inviting you to listen in on our conversations.
We both have big families, but we teach almost all of our school subjects to everyone at once, and we want to help you find the joy in that too, so we talk a lot about family homeschooling. To see all of our episodes, visit our Layers of Learning Podcast Page. Join us as we explore how to have a happy, hands-on, family-style homeschool.
Guiding Your Kids
In Episode 21, Guiding Your Kids, Michelle and Karen discuss ways you can be an educational guide for your kids in your homeschool. Guiding your kids is more than just teaching; it’s becoming a mentor and a resource for your kids to learn about all of their interests. A teacher teaches facts, but a guide guides the process.
There are three keys to guiding your kids successfully:
- Guides help steer kids to resources that will facilitate learning and make them capable learners.
- Guides follow the interests of their children to further their interests and passions. This requires letting go of your exact plans.
- Guides listen to their kids and value their ideas and messages.
Layers of Learning is a curriculum that will hold your hand as you guide your kids through their homeschool experiences. Karen and Michelle love to be your guides. We don’t provide every fact, every question, and all the answers. Just as we want your kids to grow, we want you, the homeschool parent, to grow. We help guide you along the homeschooling path without stepping in and putting on a teacher’s hat. Now, listen in as we pass the baton to you and talk you through how you can guide your kids in your homeschool.
Here Are A Few Topics You’ll Hear About In This Podcast:
- Finding mentors and resources for your kids within the umbrella of their interests
- Allowing kids to pursue their interests
- Giving kids directions about processes and pursuits more than merely facts to memorize
- Encouraging a growth mindset
- Being a cheerleader for your kids
- Understanding the difference between offering choices and having a child-led education
- Keeping supplies on hand so you can offer kids choices that you can make happen without a huge inconvenience to you
- Gifting books and offering book options
- Listening to their ideas, big and small, and recognizing their value
- Initiating conversations, both about school topics and less formal discussions, and then really listening and caring what they say
Click the Play button to hear the podcast, then subscribe below!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More
Try family-style homeschooling now with free samples of four Layers of Learning units when you subscribe. You'll get to try family-style history, geography, science, and arts with your children.
You can unsubscribe any time.