Classical Music is the fifth unit in the Colonial Period Arts course. This unit explores the music and musicians of the 17th through 19th centuries in Europe including the classical and romantic periods.
This unit contains sections on:
- Famous Musicians
Layers of Learning is an activity-based program. The mentor chooses from among the activities in the unit to create mental hooks for learning. Some of the activities in this unit include:
- Make an accordion book showing the trademarks of classical music
- Play an instrument match game when learning about instruments of the orchestra
- Learn to play a simple melody
- Use candies and staff paper to compose your own melody
- Draw birds in your Art Sketchbook as you watch Mozart’s “The Magic Flute” opera
- Go on a web quest to learn about the B’s: Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms
- Listen to Schubert’s “March Militaire” and learn about forte, piano, allegro, and andante
- Listen to “Carnival of the Animals” and then play animal charades
- Plus much more!
Each Layers of Learning Arts unit includes library lists of books, a family read-aloud suggestion, hands-on activities, printables and paper crafts, sidebars for extra learning, and tools to help you assess student’s progress and mastery. You can learn more about how Layers of Learning works in the Curriculum Guide or learn to teach art with the Arts Guidebook for mentors.
Here is the inside view of a double page spread from Classical Music:
The curriculum is pick-and-choose, so you select which Explorations you would like to do out of the many choices.
This unit was written to be used for a month but contains plenty of content for many more weeks of learning if you choose. This is a pick-and-choose curriculum, meant to be cycled back to in the future when your child is older. As such, it intentionally includes far more material than you can possibly cover in a month. Classical Music is also part of the overall Colonial Period Arts course, the third Year of the four year Layers of Learning Arts cycle. If you use the program in order, it will take you though the art in chronological order, tracking with the Layers of Learning History units. However, each unit stands alone and can be used independently of any other unit.
This unit comes with a downloadable Printable Pack that includes all the student worksheets. The printables can be copied as many times as needed for your family or class. You can download the Printable Pack from your receipt or from your account at Layers of Learning.
This unit comes with extra weblinks and a YouTube video playlist on the Colonial Period Arts Resources page.