This is a pre-order! When you buy this you will immediately receive all of the currently available units in the World Cultures course. Then as each new release comes out it will be added to your account. We anticipate releasing one unit per month beginning in October 2023.
World Cultures is an activity based geography course about the things that make up human cultures from families to religion to manners. Each unit also explores countries around the world region by region, hitting on every inhabited continent. Students use books, videos, discussions, crafts, printables, recipes, games, and more to learn. The best part is the family-style design that allows you to teach all ages at once.
Learn more about how Layers of Learning works.
What’s In this PDF Course?
World Cultures includes nine unit, one for each month of your school year.
- Caribbean – What is culture plus the countries of Cuba, Jamaica, Bahamas, Haiti, and the Lesser Antilles region
- Central Africa – Mores and manners and the countries of DR Congo, Cameroon, Uganda, and Rwanda
- Nordic Countries – Learn about families around the world plus the countries of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark
- Indian Subcontinent – Learn about leisure time plus the countries of India, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Pakistan
- World Religions – this unit focuses on the four biggest religions of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism
- Amazon Basin – Learn about languages and the countries of Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay
- Southern Africa – Learn about myths and the countries of Angola, South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe
- Down Under – Learn about rituals and ceremonies and the countries of Australia, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinea
- Central Europe – Learn about cultural spread and the countries of Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania
A Layers of Learning Geography Lesson
Each Exploration in the units is written as a complete lesson plan. It will direct you in books to read, videos to watch, projects to craft, and discussions to have. The units are clear full of Explorations to choose from and you won’t have time for them all. This is a pick-and-choose curriculum.
Besides the geography lesson for the day the units are lined with sidebars that direct you to discussions, books, famous people, interesting facts, writing ideas, and more.
You will also see a Library List at the beginning and a Show What You Know section at the end that will help you create assessments or tests based on your individual learning.
Reusable and for All Ages
These units books are for the mentor, not to hand to the student. They are supposed to be used repeatedly. Since this is a pick-and-choose curriculum, you do some of the explorations and save others for later on. If you follow the four year cycle, you will progress through People & Planet, Mapping Our World, World Cultures, and then People & Place. Then you will cycle back to People & Planet in the fifth year when your kids are older and learning at a higher level. In all you may use this book three times with your child.
The World Cultures units contain lessons ranging from making a t-short featuring folk culture in your town to deep dives into what makes people believe what they believe. There are plenty of concepts for little kids and plenty to challenge high schoolers. Most lessons are meant to be taught to many ages from 6-year-olds clear up to seniors in high school. Each age group gets the same Exploration and principles, but they learn on the level they are ready for. Books from your library and video from the YouTube playlists customize the learning for each age.
YouTube playlists, Pinterest boards, links to helpful websites are all assembled and ready for you to access on the World Cultures Resources page.
You can get a printable World Cultures PDF cover to put in the front of a binder if you plan on printing the units.